A nit on apper

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:36:45 UTC 2012

I recently attempted to update my system using apper. It gave me the
list of rpms, I said Apply, it started working, then it popped up a
message about some packages not being signed and did I want to proceed.
However it didn't say *which* packages.

How is the user supposed to make an intelligent decision in this
situation?

I just killed apper and used yum, which my usual procedure.
Interestingly, yum had no complaints about unsigned packages and
everything worked.

So to summarize: apper's behaviour in this case recalls the aprocryphal
IBM mainframe message "Wrong Error".

Or to summarize the summary: WTF?

poc