Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:42:25 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 12:56, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> wrote:
> I wonder if I am alone in finding some of the developments in Fedora-16
> actually make life harder for the user?
>
> I'd take grub2 and systemctl as two examples.
> In each case I've read the documentation and understand the motivation
> behind these developments.
> But I remain unconvinced that the gains outweigh the disadvantages
> of methods that are much harder to configure and use.
>
> I don't think this is just a matter of unfamiliarity.
> I think one can say objectively that the new methods
> are more complicated than those they replace.
>
> As a crude measure of complication the new commands
> take longer to type than the old,
> eg "systemctl start openvpn at client.service"
> compared with "start service openvpn".
>
> And the output of the new commands seems much more verbose than the old:
> eg compare the output of "systemctl -a" or "systemctl list-units"
> with that of "chkconfig --list".
>
> Could anyone bringing in these changes have honestly answered "Yes"
> if asked whether the new method would simplify life for the user?

I'd agree that the systemctl syntax is clumsier. But on my machines,
the boot time has reduced dramatically.

For grub2, one of the things I like is that it picked up the windows
installation on the other disk, without any configuration on my part.
It also picks up other linux installations on a multi-boot machine.

IMO the added functionality is worth the added complications.

Regards,

Chris