F17 Alpha: how to add a keyboard layout switcher widget?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:21:12 UTC 2012

I´ve been using Fedora 17 Alpha on a Dual-core Opteron server with ATI
X1600 gfx card and dual head display (two 19" LED LCD screens).

So far so good, but two notes, one on performance the other on usability:

1. Dragging windows across one screen to the other shows a noticiable
slowdown vs Fedora 16 XFCE (ie at some points I can see the window being
redrawn, wheres on XFE is moves smoothly with no visual artifacts).

I know the Gnome "weight" so to speak is much higher than XFCE but I also
wonder if perhaps this in an issue with X.org or the kernel. How to know?.

2. For the life of me I can´t find any way to add a widget to the top bar
to switch between keyboard layouts.

Any help?.
FC

act