Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:27:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:58:24 +0100
Reindl Harald wrote:

> and yes you can ignore the "# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE"
> as long you do not call "grub2-mkconfig" which is not
> needed usually

The actual abomination with grub2 is the fact that
the grub2-mkconfig tool exists. One of the main forces
that led to the death of lilo was the ridiculous need
to run extra tools after updating the files in order to
actually make them take effect.

Now with grub2, we have the return of extra tools the
docs and comments all say you are supposed to use, yet
grubby doesn't use them, so it is even more confusing
when you have edited /etc/default/grub and then you
get a kernel update installed and none of the changes
you made to /etc/default/grub actually appear.

Fedora should eradicate grub2-mkconfig and /etc/default/grub
and remove the "do not edit this file" comment so
there is really only one file to edit again and
no confusing conflicting behavior.