error in building a RPM file

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Mar 22 17:01:30 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 05:29 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> One other thing I noticed is the use of `make install-strip`.  RPM
>> will strip the debugging symbols for you and create a debuginfo
>> package, which might be useful someday if^H^Hwhen it crashes, so you
>> should probably just `make install` here.
>
> Thanks very much for the e-mail! Then, I guess my question is: the
> binaries that are installed when I download and install a Fedora RPM
> all (or at least, most do) appear to be stripped. I thought that meant
> that the install step has to have things stripped.
No - When building a Fedora rpm, binaries must not be stripped.

In autoconf terms, inside of rpm.specs, packages must be installed by
"make install" and must not use "make install-strip".

> How exactly does
> this happen then?

Somewhat oversimplyfied, Fedora's rpm-build is equipped with a mechanism
which extracts the binaries' debug information from non-stripped
binaries into *-debuginfo.rpm.

I.e. packagers are supposed to build with debug-info built-in
(non-stripped), rpm then later strips automatically.

Ralf