booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Mar 22 19:51:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, jackson byers wrote:

>>> Michael,
>>> did you follow the Andras->Tom Horsley link?
>
>> Yes.  See my previous reply.
>> done some experimenting since.
>> My machine can still boot from my FC13 installation disk.
>> I let it get as far as offering to test the media.  I can't find my F14 disk.
>> I copied FC13's vmlinuz to a hard drive and
>> tried again with the grub command line.
>> The kernel command segfaulted again.
>> I even did a yum reinstall grub, but it didn't help.
>> The kernel command still segfaulted.
>
> I don't follow you at all; You are evidently even having trouble
> on your existing F!3 (or F14), exactly how I don't understand.
> You do need a working linux to do the hdinstall.

I have F14 installed, but F13 is the most recent DVD I can find.

> --you are evidently not using a grub.conf
>  but rather running grub from the cmdline,
>  which in my opinion just further makes it likely to make errors.

I've done it both ways.
The constant rebooting and logging in gets tedious.
I don't type into the grub comand line, I use a file as standard input.

> --you are evidently using a kickstart ks.cfg,
>  about which I know nothing,
>  but ks.cfg is  not used in the Horsley prescription

In the interest of ease of diagnosis, I've left it off this time.

> --why are you using the 'find' cmd in grub?

Documenting that the files were there.

>  You should know _exactly_ where you put the vmlinuz,initrd.img files
>  extracted from the iso.
>  And that info should be easily placed into a grub.conf stanza.

I wanted to demonstrate to potential helpers
that I gave grub the correct information.

>  You can also rename those files to vmlinuz-install, initrd.img-install
>  which is recommended in the fedora project info,
>  and  which makes clear that they are intended for an "install" stanza,
> not to be confused with normal vmlinuz,....

I was following the Andras->Tom Horsley link somewhat slavishly.

Here is my most recent effort.
The last stanza in grub.conf is:
title Install Fedora from iso
 	root (hd0,2)
 	pause have rooted
 	find  /isolinux/vmlinuz
 	pause have finded
 	kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/
 	pause have kerneled
 	find   /isolinux/initrd.img
 	pause have finded
 	initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
 	pause have initrded
#The /boot/f15x directory is where I extracted the vmlinuz
#and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on
#the iso image, and /zooty/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
#is the directory where I saved the iso image (where
#the /zooty mountpoint mounts a partition with the label ZOOTY).

All the pauses happened.
The last line before catatonia ended:
BUG: unable to handle kernel.

The kernel is the one I copied from the installation iso.
[root at localhost isolinux]# sha256sum vmlinuz
73ca29c9e5d819b238f872fc8321c61720abdb4df04c714456c8b1ce5c174419  vmlinuz

Also, the DVD iso is where I told the kernel it was:
[root at localhost ~]# e2label /dev/sdb1
/home1
[root at localhost ~]# df /homes
/dev/sdb1             38456308  28798716   7704092  79% /homes
[root at localhost ~]# ls /homes
F13  Fedora-14-i386-DVD.iso.gz  hennebry
F16  Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso     lost+found

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily