Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 23 02:36:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 12:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I wonder if I am alone in finding some of the developments in Fedora-16
> actually make life harder for the user?
>
> I'd take grub2 and systemctl as two examples.
> In each case I've read the documentation and understand the motivation
> behind these developments.
> But I remain unconvinced that the gains outweigh the disadvantages
> of methods that are much harder to configure and use.
>
> I don't think this is just a matter of unfamiliarity.
> I think one can say objectively that the new methods
> are more complicated than those they replace.
>
> As a crude measure of complication the new commands
> take longer to type than the old,
> eg "systemctl start openvpn at client.service"
> compared with "start service openvpn".
>
> And the output of the new commands seems much more verbose than the old:
> eg compare the output of "systemctl -a" or "systemctl list-units"
> with that of "chkconfig --list".
>
> Could anyone bringing in these changes have honestly answered "Yes"
> if asked whether the new method would simplify life for the user?
----
you're being argumentative here.

The move to grub2 & systemd/systemctl really has nothing to do with the
user command line interface which you should already understand since
you said you understand the motivations.

The goal is that the typical user would never actually interact with
grub (grub2) or systemctl from the command line at all. Grub
manipulations occurring when kernels are installed or removed, systemctl
commands can be handled via 'system-config'services'

If your beef is about specific daemons (ie openvpn), you should be
submitting bugzilla entries against the package.

Craig

believed to be clean.