Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Mar 23 09:39:35 UTC 2012

Craig White wrote:

> The goal is that the typical user would never actually interact with
> grub (grub2) or systemctl from the command line at all. Grub
> manipulations occurring when kernels are installed or removed, systemctl
> commands can be handled via 'system-config'services'

That sounds absurd to me.
Maybe I'm not a "typical user" (who is?)
but I often need to start or restart services,
eg yesterday I had to restart sendmail after changing my SMARTHOST.
I also restarted dhcpd after adding another device to dhcpd.conf .
Are you suggesting I should re-boot after each of these?

I remember that NetworkManager used to have the mantra "It just works".
They seem to have dropped it now NM actually does work most of the time.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net