Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 23 11:09:46 UTC 2012

Am 23.03.2012 11:52, schrieb Bryn M. Reeves:
> On 03/23/2012 07:38 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> "systemctl restart httpd.service" is a joke compared with "service
>> httpd restart" - a msart developer would have made .service as
>> default-fallback and only "httpd.socket" as example would need full
>> qualified input
>
> That would be optimisation

and as i do this before i tell other people software
i developed is ready i demand this sort of optimiziation

especially as i do not enforce people to use my software
systemd-developers did with F15 and no, please do
not come with "use another distribution" or any such
laughable phrase

> A very smart programmer once taught us
> that "premature optimisation is the root of all evil".

that may be correct in many cases

in the case "systemctl restart/stop/start is mostly used for
services" it is a silly argument for ".service has to be
typed all the time"

> Perhaps the author felt that other work was of higher priority at the time?

perhaps the author sould have finished his software
before F15 or deleayed it for F16 at all

with F16 systemd feels usebale
the version in F15 was poor crap from the user point of view

> Besides, I would expect any Linux admin worth paying who found this
> syntax so troublesome to be able to create a wrapper to suit their
> preferred invocation style with minimal effort.
>
> alias oldservice () { systemctl $2 $1.service; }

i guess few people are using more aliases and scripts as
i do for years now - but it is poor software-design need to do
this every where because banana-software is called "release"