Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Fri Mar 23 14:52:11 UTC 2012

On 03/23/2012 01:26 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

> There is way less wonky bash scripting in the new service file, because
> it is mostly declarations, rather than code. As an added bonus, the old
> postgrey init script never worked properly for me (it did not kill
> cleanly, no idea why), but the new systemd service file works great.

Wish I could say the same. When systemd works - it works fine. The
trouble is when it doesn't work - it just sucks for diagnosing what's
going on. It's practically impossible to tell why something isn't
working because you have no idea of the dependencies between services
and when and how they get started. There is a lot of documentation but
its very obtuse. I've seen services fail to start on boot but if you
manually start them - they work. I've seen services fail to stop causing
the system to hang (until you repeatedly press ctrl-alt-del) and so on.
Never mind the weirdness like trying to stop a non existant service -
the service shows up as failed with a systemctl -a. Can't see what use
that is. I hate having to write .service on the end of everything - it's
completely superfluous. I love the concept of systemctl but its human
interface is just awful.

--
Ian Chapman.