Can't install nvidia drivers at runlevel3

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Mar 23 16:07:57 UTC 2012

Lawrence Graves wrote:
> I agree, I believe it is time for me to scrap my Dell 9400 Inspiron with
> its FX2500m

The FX series chips are not supported by the 295.33 driver. You have to
use the legacy driver, which has not been updated for kernel 3.3 AFAIK.
I'm using the 295.33 driver with my 9000 series chips and the 3.3 kernel
without a problem.

I would suggesting using nouveau over the binary driver for your very
old, slow chip. The NVIDIA binary driver will not provide you with a
better experience.