booting from DVD image on hard drive partition

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:19:40 UTC 2012

Michael,
Your responses have me more and more confused as to exactly
what you are trying to do:

>My machine can still boot from my FC13 installation disk.
>I copied FC13's vmlinuz to a hard drive and
>tried again with the grub command line.

>I have F14 installed, but F13 is the most recent DVD I can find.

why are you booting from F13 installation disk if you have F14 installed?
why do you need to find the F14 DVD?

Does this mean:
--you do not have F13 installed?
--your F14 install is somehow broken?

What version of  installed-fedora are you operating from?
What version of fedora is the iso you are extracting from?
Is either F15,F16 involved?

the hdinstall, as per Horsley, and as per fedoraproject:
is meant to operate from an already existing fedora system,
which you don't seem to have.

>Chapter 12. Installing Without Media

>12.1. Retrieving Boot Files
>12.2. Editing the GRUB Configuration
>12.3. Booting to Installation

>Linux Required
>This procedure assumes you are already using Fedora or another relatively modern >Linux distribution, and the GRUB boot loader. It also assumes you are a somewhat >experienced Linux user.

>This section discusses how to install Fedora on your system without making any >additional physical media. Instead, you can use your existing GRUB boot loader to start >the installation program

Note:"  without making any additional physical media", i.e, no DVD, just the iso
Note: "use your existing GRUB boot loader"

Jack