[SOLVED FOR REAL:] Re: recover from a bad F16 install

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 23 22:13:09 UTC 2012

On 3/21/2012 9:59 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 3/21/2012 4:58 AM, Tim wrote:
>> If a power supply is sagging, other things may have started working,
>> *then* a drive may try starting up, afterwards.  This changes the load
>> on the power supply, and the output from a failing power supply may drop
>> (voltage go down, as it's less able to supply current).

Tim:

A tip of the proverbial hat to you.

Removed one hard drive and I was able to redo the install. It complained
about "Error processing LVM" but a reinit all fixed that.

Once I get a "bare minimum install", I'll swap hard drives to make
certain that it isn't a problem with the other one. Of course, given
that it looks like power supply is sagging, at some point I will assume
that it might not like "only one hard drive". Whether I spring for a
new/used power supply to nurse this old beast along is a separate
question (probably answered with a "no").

I really appreciate the suggestion to consider the power supply.

Once again, thanks (and thanks to everyone else who offered help)
Paul