Can't install nvidia drivers at runlevel3

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 23 22:58:27 UTC 2012

Am 23.03.2012 23:42, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 03/23/2012 03:25 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> the other OSs just work?
>> who told you?
>
> My sister's computer has an nVidia card, but she uses Ubuntu, not Fedora.  Every time she reboots after a kernel
> update, she's prompted by the Package Updater to re-install the binary blob.  She clicks OK, it installs the blob
> for her and reboots. As far as she's concerned, It Just Works.

you realized the the OP has a stone-old nvidia card
which needs the legacy driver - did you?

the only reason why it MAY be supported currently
by Ubuntu is that they ahve way much older kernels

the older kernels are a much bader situation
i remeber last year as i became my new workstation
F14 which was still supported at this time did not
support the on-borad intel network card and the
X-Server freezed the whole day with the SandyBrdige
graphics - so yes we need recent kernels to support
recent hardware and if people do not buy crap needing
closed surce drivers they would too have no problems