Can't install nvidia drivers at runlevel3

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 23 23:47:28 UTC 2012

Am 24.03.2012 00:32, schrieb jdow:
> The drivers generally exist for MacOS and Windows. So installation is no big
> sweat and avoids esoterica such as trying to figure out how to use a mother-
> board raid 5 configuration under Linux.

why are you doing things permanently wrong instead read manuals
or buy the hardware for your needs?

if you have a hardware RAID controller the os
does even not know that it runs on a RAID
what you are speaking about are fake-RAIDs

so why the hell not using a linux software-RAID at all
this works and needes no driver or hardware support

> (I've done it. It took a lot of
> reading and a basic understanding of RAID

but you finally did not understand the basics because if you do so
you would realize that you have no real RAID controller, disable any
RAID function in BIOS and  install a software RAID which works out of
the box since many years with each hardware and linux kernel

> For Windows - it just works if
> you install it with the desired driver, which the motherboard manufacturer
> provides.

let window scotnroll a RAID is a little pervers :-)

> You are telling a fellow his video card will not work. I've never encountered
> that with Windows. I have, twice personally, with Linux.
>
> I won't get into why I think this happens. That's a different argument that
> is generally quite unproductive.

so install windows if you have tender love with nVidia
or make a request at nVidia why they do not make
their dirvers opensource if they are not able to
provide a new one on 2012-03-23 for a kernel released
on 2012-03-19

what do you expect?
kernel 3.3 is FOUR days old

agai: if you are using a distribution with
brand new software and kernels you have to
buy hardware which is supported by the kernel

--

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm