.bash_history in F15/16 randomly truncated/incomplete/damaged

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Mar 24 14:15:51 UTC 2012

suvayu ali wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:39, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta at hanzlici.cz> wrote:
>> suvayu ali wrote:
>>>
>>> This is just a ridiculous claim. Do you have any evidence to support
>>> this claim?
>>
>> And more - at several important machines when I want reboot
>> them, I press for logging off and then login on for this only
>> "shutdown -r now" command. And by then I at these machines not
>> observed problems with bash history. Maybe it is speculation,
>> but seem for me as systemd causation.
>>

> I have used shutdown many times since Fedora switched to systemd. It has
> always worked for me. I think your problem is more likely due to some
> options or commands in your bashrc and profile files. If you really
> believe another program is to blame, I would rather investigate programs
> which interact with your desktop session more closely (e.g. your
> terminal emulator, your desktop's session manager, some faulty cron job,
> a bug in some script, ... I can keep going), rather than point fingers
> at systemd.
>
> If I were you, I would check some of the following:
>
> 1. Do you use any kind of history manipulation commands in your rc or
>    profile files (e.g. any commands like `history <options>`)?
> 2. Do you have any history related environment variable set to some
>    undefined value (could be a typo, a change in compatibility between
>    versions, or some other reason)?
> 3. Do you have anything in your prompt related variables that could be
>    misbehaving (e.g. PS1, PROMPT_COMMAND, etc)?
> 4. Do you have some stray old rc file messing up the settings?
> 5. Could there be some rc files from some other compatible shell
>    interfering with your bash instance?
>
> When the problem occurs again, I would also check for the last
> modification time and size of your history file to confirm the observation.
>
>> Franta
>
> Hope the pointers above help.

Hmm, I'm only not systemd fanatical sectarian. It is program as others,
new thing, with bugs, is evolving according to system/distributions
needs. IMO tell something as described here:
 http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html
without single false point to systemd, it simply isn't true.

Regarding Your recommendations - I personally think problem isn't there
(with F15 I switched to Xfce, but desktop manager probably isn't culprit
as at some machines where problem occurs I'm working only in console.
System and user profile/bashrc are Fedora's original (only difference is
"HISTORY=10000" in /etc/profile, and several aliases in root's .bashrc
(for rpm, I use these for years), nothing else. Points 1)-5) too aren't
probable/possible - they not exist or their resulst would be more
predictable.

Now occurred to me that i can watch several (mainly roots) history files
by incrond and start some script which log some events on it. Maybe it
helps.
Thanks.