Help with sound on Fc16

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 25 02:28:53 UTC 2012

On 03/25/2012 10:16 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> No.  However, I tried to get sound just before adding myself to the group.  It
> failed on both boxes.  On my desktop, it started working as soon as I made the
> change.  On the laptop, I had to log out and back in before I got sound.  On both
> boxes, the only thing that I changed was adding myself to the group.  And, if it
> doesn't work, what harm's done?

I believe you got it to work.  However, you "force fixed" it and are hiding the
underlying problem.

When you login the acls of the devices listed in /dev/snd should be changed to
something along the lines of:

# file: hwC0D0
# owner: root
# group: audio
user::rw-
user:egreshko:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

In your case that is not happening.  So, you've force fixed it by joining the "audio"
group as all the devices are in the "audio" group.  This could also point to other
issues on your system where other acls aren't getting properly modified on login.

In any case, it is *not* a "requirement" as you've stated.  It is a "kludge" to get
around another problem.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis