rc.local not loaded on boot

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Mar 25 18:44:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:57:25 +0100
Bruno Martins <bmomartins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I can read here:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_for_Sysadmin.html
>
> the following:
>

>         3.2.4. rc.local no longer packaged
>
> The |/etc/rc.d/rc.local| local customization script is no longer
> included by default. Administrators who need this functionality
> merely have to create this file, make it executable, and it will run
> on boot. Upgrades are not affected by this change.
>
> However, in my system this isn't happening.

...snip...

> ## Defaults brightness to maximum.
> echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

I would expect this to work. Does it?

> ## Enables mousepad tapping in LXDE.
> synclient TapButton1=1

This will fail. synclient needs a DISPLAY to work with. When rc.local
is run it's before there's any X session and thus no display. I would
expect this to not work.

> ## Enables mousepad vertical scrolling in LXDE.
> synclient VertEdgeScroll=1

Ditto above.

> #exit 0
>
> However, if I run the file manually, it loads OK.

From an active X session? Yes, I would expect that to work since you
have a DISPLAY.

> Can you please give me a tip on this?

I would look at making these into a script, then give it a desktop file
and set it to autostart in your desktop env. At that point it should
have a display and work.

> Best regards,

kevin