Help with sound on Fc16

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Mon Mar 26 04:36:34 UTC 2012

On 03/25/2012 07:37 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/25/2012 11:42 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> How are you logging in? gdm? How are you starting X?
>
> Yes, I'm logging in on both computers via gdm and using XFCE.  The
> advice I got through fedorafourm.org simply stated that you had to be
> in the audio group to have access to the appropriate devices.
>
> [joe at khorlia Desktop]$ ls -al /dev/snd
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x.  3 root root      240 Mar 24 22:31 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 18 root root     3980 Mar 23 15:32 ..
> drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root       60 Mar 24 22:31 by-path
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  8 Mar 24 22:31 controlC0
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  7 Mar 23 15:33 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  6 Mar 23 15:33 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  5 Mar 24 22:31 pcmC0D1c
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  4 Mar 24 22:31 pcmC0D2c
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  3 Mar 24 22:31 pcmC0D3c
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  2 Mar 23 15:33 pcmC0D4p
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  1 Mar 24 22:31 seq
> crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116, 33 Mar 24 22:31 timer

Sidenote:  It may work w/out being in the audio group, since your modes
for those files include a "+".

The "+" means there's an acl on the file, in addition to "standard" Unix
permissions.  As someone else mentioned, logging in on the console is
supposed to set up those acl's.

Use the getfacl command to read the acls -- for instance, on this system:

    _[/dev/snd]_(scott at eva)_
    $ getfacl hwC0D0
    # file: hwC0D0
    # owner: root
    # group: audio
    user::rw-
    user:scott:rw-
    group::rw-
    mask::rw-
    other::---

The file reads:

    crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Mar 22 20:22 hwC0D0

Yes, you could also "fix" a perms problem by dropping the user into the
audio group -- but then, they will always have access to audio, even if
they aren't logged in at the console...which could have security
ramifications for multi-user systems.

 -Scott