question on iptables, port 631 and CUPS

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 26 07:26:23 UTC 2012

On 3/25/2012 3:22 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 19:18 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> If I try to reach a solution based on my limited knowledge, it would
>> seem that one would want to change the udp to have a 127.0.0.1
>> sourceIP and a destinIP restricting to the LAN (I am assuming simple
>> home user usage where there's a single LAN that has one connection
>> through a router to the outside world). Such would say that any other
>> udp would get rejected (or allowed by some other rule).
> 127.x.y.z addresses are not LAN addresses, they're only for the machine
> itself (internal communication).
>
> If one is being secure, particularly when you connect your computers to
> random networks, or directly to the internet with no intervening gadget
> that acts like a firewall, then you probably do not want to use the
> default firewall rules that Fedora users (allow everything by default,
> have a few specific rules, then a final deny rule).  You'd want to go
> the opposite way:  Deny everything by default, poke holes through for
> the few things that you want to allow.
>
> And, of course, configure all your services correctly.  Do not rely on a
> firewall to stop access to a service that you don't want public access.
> Configure *that* service to ignore unwanted connections.
>
> It's particularly important if you're one of those people who are going
> to disable the firewall to try and work out some problem.  Because it
> only takes mere moments for some hacker to do their business on a
> vulnerable system.  And that moment might be when you've dropped your
> firewall.

Tim:

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the corrections on my language regarding 127.*

You have clearly detected that I am trying to understand "being secure".
I've posted many times trying to get understanding on iptables and I
know that once I sort that out, I have to deal with firewall issues. Let
me digest your email (along with the other posts regarding exactly what
port 3535 is) and get back.

Best,
Paul