Fedora and the horrible EDID checksum issue with various video cards

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Mon Mar 26 15:07:45 UTC 2012

Hi guys, got a question I hope someone can answer pretty quickly. I've
been using kubuntu on various slower systems the last couple of years,
but since Canonical is dropping KDE I want to shift them all back to
Fedora.  I've noticed that F16 flies on hardware that F12 just killed so
I'm willing to give it a shot.

My question is this: I've had an issue with newer ubuntu kernels
(3.0.14,.15 and .16 specifically) that just implode on my video card with

> [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 128

repeatedly, pegging my proc and rendering the system unusable.  Has the
3.1+ kernels addressed this issue?  Is it still hanging out there?  What
exactly is the status of this in the Fedora realm?

Right now, I have a system I can use (with the 0.13 kernel) but I don't
want to upgrade if it leaves me with an unusable system.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux