Fedora 16 / gnome3 / ATI Technologies Inc Device 9648 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Mar 26 17:40:17 UTC 2012

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> On 03/25/2012 08:49 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I have not tried that, surely easy to do, I'll need to download the
>> LiveCD iso.  What would you expect to find?
>
> If you can't get into Gnome3 from the LiveCD, it's probably not a kernel
> update causing it as the image isn't kept updated.  If you can, there's
> a software issue.  In either case, you'll have a much better idea of
> where to look than you do now.
>
> Joe,
> I'll start the download!!, but the original system would not work
> without akmod-catalyst from rpmfusion.  I've never downloaded a liveCD
> so it will be good to do no matter what.
>
> Greg
>
> The  CD I created with  Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso did not work.
> It booted to the boot screen, then after the process started the screen
> turned gray for a short while, and then black.  The CD kept being
> accessed for a time and finally stopped being accessed.  The black
> screen did not change.

Did you try starting in compatible mode? If that doesn't work you do
have an issue, but if the Live-CD works I assume that an "upgrade" broke
the working system (not exactly an unheard of thing).

> I did not think this would work without akmod.catalyst, but it might be
> a fair way for others to test their system to see if gnome3 is going to
> work without additional drivers.

I never load alternate drivers unless the ones in the distro fail to
work. The state of video since GNOME3 is so fragile that I take what I
can get working. The whole concept of requiring acceleration when the
free drivers don't work is "mystery think" to me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>