Human readable document on NFS server on FC16

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Mar 26 18:06:23 UTC 2012

I had an NFS server motherboard go bad, and a quick replacement resulted
in the drives coming up in all the wrong places, and no room to do a new
install. I'm running at the moment off a USB boot to keep thinks going
until I get an SSD so I can install there. A thumb drive on a USB 3.0
port is not a bad substitute for an SSD short term.

Anyway, the issue is ID mapping from the server to the clients. The
documentation is written using terms like
   "NFS4_user_object at REALM = local_user_object"
and while I have the more recent clients working, machines lacking the
rpc.idmap (aka nfs-idmap) capability aren't working. Since I have to
support the existing clients rather than having the ability to force
sensible upgrades, and many of the clients just don't do idmap, two
questions.

FIRST - is there a human readable document with examples which just show
what client and server mods to /etc/idmapd.conf should be made such that
joe at foo.demo.org gets access to the joe files on the server, and what
the effect of those changes is are on the client and server sides.
That's sort of medium critical, since I have that working. It's unclear
if and how some of the terms map to OO languages.

SECOND - is there a way to get the server to provide NFS3 service for
the machines which were put in service before the even was an NFS4?
Other than running a whole different server? I see that it is supposed
to happen if /proc/fs nsf* are unmounted, but that creates breakage. Is
there something simple to make that happen?

All I need is some doc so I can be sure I've done things right, as
opposed to hacked until they work.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>