firefox 11 -- keyboard popup and unrelenting text to speech

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Tue Mar 27 06:54:25 UTC 2012

Dear Folks,

On 21/03/12 05:58 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>On 03/20/2012 03:45:26 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > Are you sure its firefox and not a malfunctioning on screen
>> keyboard
>> app?
>>
>> That happened to me. Just quit Firefox and reboot your computer -- in
>> my case this was enough to solve the problem.
>
>Alas, this did not work for me, but thanks for the reply.

Had exactly the same problem, with XFCE.  There is a package called
caribou-antler-0.4.1-3.fc16.x86_64
Description :
This package contains caribou keyboard implementation

I killed the process and the keyboard disappeared.

However, my firefox is also chattering incessantly; in an attempt to
stop it, i went to about:config, changed a configuration item; I think
it was accessibility:usetexttospeech, and changed it from default to
false.

Then any attempt to type anything into the URL bar caused firefox to
lock up.  I rebooted the computer, and the chattering is back, but at
least I can type URLs.

I do not have either of these problems with four other computers, just
one at work.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org