Firewall disabled; yet "connection refused"

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Mar 27 08:52:15 UTC 2012

I'm trying to set up dovecot on a fresh installation of Fedora 16.
This is an obvious problem:

   $ telnet rail 143
   Trying 10.0.0.21...
   telnet: connect to address 10.0.0.21: Connection refused

localhost works:

   $ telnet localhost 143
   Trying ::1...
   Connected to localhost.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.

After first trying to permit traffic on port 143 in the firewall
configuration, I've now disabled it altogether:

   $ systemctl status iptables.service
   iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
   	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; disabled)
   	  Active: inactive (dead)
   	          start condition failed at Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:25:13
-0500; 13 years and 0 months ago
   	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/iptables.service
   $ systemctl status ip6tables.service
   ip6tables.service - IPv6 firewall with ip6tables
   	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ip6tables.service; disabled)
   	  Active: inactive (dead)
   	          start condition failed at Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:25:13
-0500; 13 years and 0 months ago
   	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/ip6tables.service

? yet I still get "connection refused" as above.

If not the firewall, what's the culprit here?

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>