minimal install CD versus Pentium 4

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 20:13:03 UTC 2012

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Stepping 9.
> No NX.
>
> Of course, the next question is whether the installer or installee require NX.

No, but it allows the kernel to block certain sorts of attacks. I’m
pretty sure Fedora kernels still use Exec-Shield on non-NX processors,
which should provide most of the same benefits:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security/Features#Exec-Shield

(Also note that it’s possible that your BIOS disables NX, in which case
it wouldn’t show up in /proc/cpuinfo).

But you’ll make best use of 4GB of RAM with the PAE kernel anyway.

James

--
E-mail:     james@ | “Does exactly what it says on the tin.” ...
aprilcottage.co.uk | I’ve got a tin at home: it says “Open other end”.