Using CPAN to update perl modules

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Mar 28 03:06:36 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 10:52:42 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> This may sound kinda silly, but it's the first time I've ever really
> encountered this before.  I'm finding I have a need to update some
> perl
> modules that aren't yet packaged by Fedora.  Is using CPAN to update
> them going to cause any problems?  Are there any caveats to using
> CPAN to install other modules not packaged in RPM form?

Short answer, not a problem.

cpan will install the module in /usrlocal, where Perl will find it
before the module installed from an rpm. (See output of perl -V). cpan
does not have an uninstall option, so if there's an rpm with a later
version, and you install it, perl will not see the new module unless
you remove the one you installed with cpan. Removing the cpan-installed
version should not be a problem, unless the module is very complicated.
cpan leaves the source for the installed module in ~root/.cpan/build;
your module might have a make uninstall, if you're lucky:-)

Good luck.