Firewall disabled; yet "connection refused"

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 28 07:05:36 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/27/2012 05:12 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>> Quoting Ed Greshko<Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>:
>>
>>> What do you get when from "netstat -nap | grep 143"?
>>
>> # netstat -nap | grep 143
>> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:143               0.0.0.0:*
>> LISTEN      1055/dovecot
>> tcp        0      0 ::1:143                     :::*
>> LISTEN      1055/dovecot
>>
>> [and some irrelevant stuff that happened to have "143" in it]
>>
>> Assuming this confirms your suspicion, what do I need to do to fix it?
>
> Yes, that confirms my suspicion.....
>
> Took me a bit, had to research....
>
> Edit /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf and comment the lines like so....
>
>     #address = localhost # allow plain imap only on localhost
>
> Do that for all the protocols you want to enable on an external interface...

I think I remember opening the firewall as well, I needed to allow nfs and I'm
pretty sure I recall allowing pop3s and imap from external.

If you are running sendmail you will have to tell it to accept from external as
well. The file is in /etc/mail, edit sendmail.cf to remove the loopback only
assignment, then make the new config and restart sendmail.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>