Is it me or is it sudo?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 19:58:01 UTC 2012

Mark Haney wrote:
> I'm kinda confused by the sudo problem I'm having.  I've edited the
> main file with visudo to include:
>
> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
> root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
> markh   ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> (obviously only the last line was my addition)
>
> But for some reason, it makes no difference at all. I'm still
> required to input my password.  What gives?  I've not had this
> problem before so I don't know where to start.

Wild guess: try
cat -vet /etc/sudoers
This should show if you have any unexpected control characters in your
file (tab is shown as ^I, and the line feed at the end of a line by $).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Security question ... What's your dog's maiden name?"
aprilcottage.co.uk |     -- Peter Gutmann on bad security designs