Is it me or is it sudo?

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Thu Mar 29 12:53:23 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 04:27 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> the promt in linux supports colors since long ago
> which is smarter than guess by error messages that
> it was a root command happily with not enough
> permissions
>
> /root/.basrhc (red prompt):
> PS1="\[\033[1;31m\][\u@\h:\w]$\[\033[0m\] "
>
> ~/.bashrc (green prompt)
> PS1="\[\033[1;32m\][\u@\h:\w]$\[\033[0m\] "
> ______________________________
>
> i use the follwoing schema since many years
>
> RED:       root on production servers
> ORANGE:    root on my machines
> YELOW:     root on backup.machines
> GREEN:     my user
> LIGHTBLUE: buildusers
> DARKBLUE:  vm hosts
>
> no, i have no good documentation, i googled around
> for colors i searched :-)

I'm aware of BASH's use of colors, but, I'm not always at a console that
displays colors.  (I've not found an Android app that will display them
on my Galaxy Tab for instance.)

Besides, I think a healthy dose of paranoia is not a bad thing. If it
works for you, that's great. I've found that it's not always good to
rely on things like that if you have to access consoles from odd devices
like mobile phones.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux