Is it me or is it sudo?

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Thu Mar 29 13:26:54 UTC 2012

On 03/29/2012 09:13 AM, Alick Zhao wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:48:47 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> I think William Hooper has explained that sudo will look through the
> conf file and use the line that matches. So it is quite possible that
> the line with %wheel comes after the line with your user name, so the
> conf for wheel (which default to password needed) takes precedence.
>
> To fix your issue, you probably should move the line with your user name
> below the line with %wheel. However, if you have enabled wheel group,
> uncomment the line containing '%wheel ... NOPASSWD' might also be OK.
> No need to add an additional line.

That's true.  However, as I've explained, that line is commented out
while I'm debugging the issue with the username.  I suppose, push comes
to shove that I can use an empty sudoers file except for that one line
in order to make absolutely certain nothing else is interfering, but
since Aaron Konstam verified that is /should/ work as I have it (as well
as others) I don't think I need to go that drastic.

The one thing I haven't done is post my entire sudoers file.  I will if
anyone thinks it'll help.

I'm really not trying to be difficult here, but this is driving me nuts.

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux