Nightingale RPM or Repo

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:15:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
<zombiegenerator at aol.com> wrote:
> Let me know if you have an update :-)

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. First the bad:

This thing is a nightmare to package. The whole build process is
designed for an individual to do a personal install. Not only does it
bundle a number of libraries, but it downloads two dependencies as
part of the build process, one of which is a binary package, so it's
arch specific. It's going to take quite a bit of work to make it
acceptable to distros that don't allow bundled libraries and unless
they make it a priority, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Additionally the main makefile doesn't even support an install target.
You have to go into a system specific folder (linux, windows, Solaris,
etc) and all it does then is copy in a few system specific files to
the build location and tar it up.

The good news is I made a very hackish SRPM which you can try out. It
installs into /opt/nightingale because it doesn't install anything to
the appropriate place. It also doesn't provide a desktop file so there
will be no menu entry in Gnome/KDE, etc. The SRPM is quite big because
the source is 43MB by itself and it downloads two other sizable files
as part of the build.

Richard