Is it me or is it sudo?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 30 11:56:50 UTC 2012

Am 30.03.2012 13:51, schrieb Joel Rees:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> one of the odd defaults many are not using
>>
>> why should i have a group with the name of my user
>> if it has only one user - or why should i put the
>> user "caroline" in group "harry" except for chaos
>>
>> no idea who invented this silly default, however, do not
>> assume all people are using defaults all the time
>
> It was "invented" by a number of people who understood how to get
> along without ACLs and capabilities and all the stupid machinery
> necessary to support them

sounds more you do not understand what ACLs are for

how could a private user group replace ACLs?
if you have different users and groups which needs
defined permissions you will always need ACLs because
chmod can only reflect the primary group

for restrict access to a single user you need no ACL
chmod 600 does this for you