What is removing files from /tmp?

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu May 3 06:35:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, 03 May 2012 at 15:40:40, Tim wrote:
> While I can't answer to why old files might be disappearing, other than
> to check more than just *daily* CRON entries (hourly, weekly, specific
> hours of the day), I'll suggest one thing:  If you want to keep /tmp
> contents through a reboot, make sure that /tmp isn't mounted as tmpfs.

Thanks.  Checked those.  weekly is empty.  hourly contains the anacron
trigger file and  "mcelog.cron" which contains only comments.

Not sure what you mean by specific hours of the day.  I don't know how
to tell when a file is removed from /tmp/, if that's what you mean.

/tmp is not mounted at all on my system.  It is a merely an ordinary
subdir of /.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Keep 'em coming.

Dean