XFCE Login Freeze

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat May 5 03:10:46 UTC 2012

I had the disappearing title bar problem again just now and thought of
another thing you might try, referencing the thread I post a link to
several weeks ago:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/411290.html

We used to set the default run level to 3 to keep X11 from starting,
or use telinit 3 to shut X11 down. I'm not sure how systemctld does
that now, but it looks like either the stop or isolate command is what
you would use instead of telinit, ...

(crud. I'm looking at man systemd.unit and I see something I'd
suspected, but hadn't seen before:

    The syntax is inspired by XDG Desktop Entry Specification[1]
.desktop files,
    which are in turn inspired by Microsoft Windows .ini files.

Who turned this guy loose in our source tree? Man, I wish I had enough
money to go back and fork Fedora from before he get allowed in. Even
just enough money to pay my rent and feed the kids and set up some
servers in the other room or something until I got it going.

Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and start moving my stuff to
Debian, or check out how far Cent has gone down this road.)

Anyway, if you don't want to take the time to look up the unit names
for X11 services or whatever he's calling that, I think telinit 3 will
still work in F16.

With X11 down, log in to the account for the user that is having
problems, and use startx or the current equivalent, and see if you can
start that way. If you can, get a virtual terminal and run

xfwm4 --replace &

Running that in a virtual console, without X11 running, probably
doesn't do much good.

Or, if you have xde or gnome installed, try logging in on one of those
instead, and run the above command, as a swag.

It should reset a number of defaults for you, which should be less
brutal than what I outlined below.

Joel Rees