help needed with HP dv6-3225dx

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat May 5 05:03:23 UTC 2012

Hello to all:

I have a Hp dv6-3225dx installed with Win7. I tried to dual boot with
F14 but it wouldn't recognize the mouse/buttons of the Synaptics PS/2
Port Touchpad v7.4 (driver 15.2.4.4 per Win7). I just tried an install
of F16 and I am getting much better behavior (as in it understands the
mouse) but I am still hitting a wall.

I insert a memory stick and I see the icon popup on my desktop to tell
me that it is there. I mouse over it and it confirms that it exists as
an unmounted drive. When I click the right or left mouse, it does
nothing. Experience on my other F16 boxes is that a popup should happen
which includes the option of mounting it.

The low lying fruit is that I read the man pages for mount and don't
quite understand what I need to do to mount it. The real problem is that
my install is not fully understanding the touchpad input. Though it
would be helpful to know exactly what I have to type in a terminal as
root(?) to mount, I am more concerned about getting the buttons to
behave "as expected".

This is an F16 install under Xfce.

For what it is worth, the mouse/buttons under Win7 have been dodgy at
times and I think HP made a mistake on this computer using them. If I
had the money, I would solve the problem by getting a new laptop ... and
not HP as I think they have taken a wrong path ... and double that for
using with Linux.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks,
Paul