What is removing files from /tmp?

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Sat May 5 13:28:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 11:24 AM, Jeoe Zeff wrote:
>> On 05/02/2012 07:47 PM, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of another mechanism for this?
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why don't you want files to be removed from /tmp?
>
> That question raises a question that I've been wanting to ask several times.  So,
> although I'm asking it in this thread, it isn't solely directed at you.
>
> When someone on this list asks for help in modifying a behavior to suit their
> needs/desires why are they often asked to justify their requests?  In this case, and
> in may others, I can't see that seeking/offering justification will help in finding a
> solution.

This is often referred to as the "XY Problem" where a questioner has
problem X, has determined to solve it with solution Y, and is asking
for help getting solution Y to do what it is they think it should do.
In fact, solution Y may not be be the optimal solution, and there may
be a well-known and reliable solution to problem X. So, asking "why do
you want to do this?" often leads to the real problem, and a better
solution.

Ref: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id479492

--
Ted Roche