BeOS [WAS: Re: Cannot mount usb floppy]

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:38:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wow! Another BeOS'er! I've still got my original box and CD. It's a
>> shame it went defunct. It was way ahead of it's time.
>

> Yes. :)
>
> I was mostly a OS/2 Warp 4.x zealot by then,but yes, I got to play with BeOS
> (4.5 if I remember correctly).
>
> This whole ordeal with the diskette image started when I read about this
> effort to revive the BeOS spirit...
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org

I've known about it for quite some time but it looks like they're
finally getting to something usable. There was also a project to
create a BeOS like system on top of the regular linux kernel to take
advantage of the larger driver base but while practical, I never liked
that idea because BeOS was always about a micro kernel not a
monolithic kernel.

Richard