X Hang when starting machine

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 8 03:06:43 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 08:39 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> For the past week or so, I have a machine running Fedora 16 and X worked fine till a week or so ago.  I have started in level 3 and relabeled everything(in case Selinux has a problem), but machine still hangs when starting up.  I start in level 3 and type startx and I get Fallback mode (Gnome 3).  If I start in gui mode I get a hang and cannot get to X.  Sometimes I am lucky to get X.  However booting with enforcing=0, X comes up with no problem.
>
> I have relabeled filesystem two times already and this continues to happen.
>
> Smolt Profile in case it is important
>
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_6f209009-0c1d-4fe8-94e9-9dda0d19ac44

Error 503 Service Unavailable

> I welcome ideas suggestions and comments.  I am hitting this bug on a daily basis as my students use this machine for school work and it is not working well.  My students are upset at me, because I have to add the extra enforcing=0, when things should just work.

You don't say what video hardware or drivers are in use?

Have you tried "startkde" instead of "startx" from runlevel 3?

You said you saw another thread about selinux and X....but you didn't point to it.
Another pair if eyes reading the same things can be helpful.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage