No Audio from media players

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed May 9 05:27:36 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 01:11 PM, JD wrote:
> I can get audio when I play  videos  on firefox (youtube, ...etc).
> But vlc and mplayer issue this message into ~/.xsession-error
>
> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r300.so: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory
> Running DIL (3.6.0) Version
> DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
> DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection
> refused
>
> Also, there is no pulseaudio daemon running.
> Tried to  start it but got:
> $ pulseaudio --start
> E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

You are running Fedora ??

Well, there is no libvdpau_r300.so on my system and "yum whatprovides
*/libvdpau_r300.so" returns nothing.....

What do you get when you "ldd /usr/bin/mplayer | grep libvdpau" ?

I don't get any reference to libvdpau_r300.so.  Only....

libvdpau.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1 (0x4b827000)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage