Weird behavior of Desktop Env

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 10 02:51:36 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 10:21 AM, JD wrote:
> On FC16, with all latest updates.
> My session is XFCE4.
>
> Until a couple of days ago, XFCE was working just fine.
> Suddenly, without any provocation from me, (nor new packages
> installed, no packages deleted) - I am getting 2 different sets of
> panels.
> One set of panels is that of Gnome - on top is the launch bar,
> and on bottom is the task switcher bar.
>
> I also have the xfce4 panels, which are on right (launch bar) and
> on left, task switcher bar.
>
> How can I stop this insanity?
>
> I am starting to get very paranoid about F16 that it may have been
> shipped fully equipped with a trojan.
>
> This, in addition to what I have been seeking help for - no audio
> for media players. Only Firefox can play online YT videos and
> audio works then.
>
> I am indeed on the verge of completely dumping FC16. It has
> been a very frustrating experience.

Oh, no....  Not another person threatening to dump a distro because of issues they
haven't been able to resolve or even know the cause.  :-)

At least you could have put a smiley at the end of the "Trojan" claim as I am sure
countless others haven't run into similar difficulties.

I don't use GNOME or XFCE on a regular basis....so can't offer any advice....

But, you should keep your audio issues in the thread you've already started on that.
I will note you've not responded to suggestions from Bryn Reeves on the audio issue.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage