Weird behavior of Desktop Env

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 10 05:14:17 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 12:38 PM, JD wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2012 07:21 PM, JD wrote:
>>> I am starting to get very paranoid about F16 that it may have been
>>> shipped fully equipped with a trojan.
>>
>> If it makes you feel any better, I'm also using XFCE on both my desktop and
>> my laptop, and I'm not seeing anything like what you're describing.  Of
>> course, I only have one panel, at the bottom because I can't see the point
>> of wasting screenspace on a second one.  Log out, go to a different console,
>> log in and rename .config.xfce4 to .config.xfce4.bak or something, then go
>> back to the GUI and log in again.  That way, your config isn't lost for
>> good, but you can get a clean start and see if it's still happening.
>>
> I renamed the .config dir, and logged out and logged back in.
> Now I have the clean xfce desktop.
> I found out that if I subsequently login and select classic gnome,
> log out, and log back in and select xfce, I will end up with 2sets  of panels.
> This SHOULD NEVER happen - else, why provide multiple desktop choices
> at login, if they will end up getting mixed together.

I believe I did the same thing you did....  These are the steps I took.

1.  Login to a xfce session
2.  mv .config to config
3.  Logout
4.  Login to a xfce session
5.  Dialog pops up and I pick "default".
6.  Logout
7.  Login to a GNOME session.  (don't know what "classic gnome" is)
8.  Logout
9.  Login to a xfce session   ....  and I should see a problem?

I don't see any problems....  So....am I doing what you're doing to try and duplicate
the problem?

> Also, this was a CLEAN install from the DVD (the sha256-sum of which
> checked out).
> It was not an upgrade. So it is not clear at all why I have been
> having so many problems
> with so many different things, of which I have enumerated only a few
> on this list.
> I will not even mention the others, lest I get cussed out :) by some
> purist list cop for deviating off topic.

Bringing up problems with Fedora on this list are never OT.  But, it is suggested
that you keep to one problem per message/thread to avoid having things get mixed up
or confused.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage