AW: Firefox problems

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 10 12:47:05 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 07:49 PM, Tim wrote:
> YT = "YouTube"?
>
> I've noticed, lately, that YouTube no longer streams the whole thing to
> you, just a certain amount.  I can see that the loading bar below the
> picture never keeps on going all the way through on a paused video, like
> it used to.  Probably done to make it hard(er) for people to download
> videos.  But, probably, making it impossible to watch videos on slow
> networks.

FWIW, I've only seen that behavior if the video being streamed is flash.  I just
paused an 8+ minute video in html5 the loading bar completed.  A paused flash video
stopped loading after about 55 seconds of video.

The download extensions to chrome and firefox don't seem to be affected.  So, I don't
think the theory of making downloads harder holds true.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage