evil calibre?

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:11:53 UTC 2012

Isn't there an unwritten law prohibiting document viewers changing the
documents they open?

If there is, ebook-viewer, part of calibre, doesn't respect it:

diff -r m/META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt m1/META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt
1c1
< calibre_current_page_bookmark^7# *:eq(0)  > *:eq(1)  > *:eq(0)  >
*:eq(4)  > *:eq(6) |0.19047619047619047
---
> calibre_current_page_bookmark^15# *:eq(0)  > *:eq(1)  > *:eq(0)  > *:eq(8)  > *:eq(43) |0.3619791666666667

The directories that I compared contain unzipped versions of the same
epub file before and after an invocation of ebook-viewer. Probably
calibre_bookmarks.txt was put in the epub file by ebok-viewer in the
first place.

Now one could say, that this is harmless, because it doesn't change
the way the epub file will appear in any reader. But it changes
filesize and timestamp, enough to make backup  software notice.

Hopefully, unchecking the "Remember the current page when quitting" in
the Preferences is a workaround, but even then, it's just a
workaround. ebook-viewer is welcome to have its own little database of
bookmarks, but shouldn't annotate my books.

Andras