Upgrade F15->F16 Dell Inspiron 600m from DVD: no dialog box - Fresh Installation or Upgrade

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat May 12 20:44:08 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an upgrade
process on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.

It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.

However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select time,
keyboard, language), then Basic Storage devices,
hostname, root password, I'm given a choice to:
Use All Space
Replace Existing Linux
Shrink Current System
Use Free Space
Create Custom Layout

Each one of these indicates that "this option will remove date from the
selected devices. Make sure you have backups"

What happened to "Upgrade an existing system" as seen on this Fedora 16
documentation page:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html

Plus all of the other choices:
"Use LVM" (I assume that I don't need this for a basic laptop)
"Encrypt system" (suggestions?)
"Review and modify partitioning layout" (definitely, before everything
gets possibly wiped)

And I have done a full data backup.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com