nscd and DNS cache

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed May 16 07:29:38 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 02:54 PM, JD wrote:
> I understand the libs are what make calls to the resolver. But even
> the resolver must look
> at /etc/resolv.conf.

Well, you did say:  "Am I to believe that the browser is NOT using /etc/resolv.conf"
which to me reads that you were thinking that somehow the browser itself should be
using resolv.conf.  I'm sorry if I misread what you wrote.

> If it is empty, NOTHING gets resolved.

Not "entirely" true.

With named not running.....

[egreshko at f16-1 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
#search greshko.com
#nameserver 192.168.0.55

[egreshko at f16-1 ~]$ ping misty
PING misty (192.168.0.55) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from misty (192.168.0.55): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=1.99 ms

since /etc/nsswitch.conf contains

hosts:      files dns

and /etc/hosts contains

192.168.0.55 misty

if you take the "files" out of the hosts line....then NOTHING gets resolved.

> I was using nscd thinking it is a lightweight caching resolver. But as
> it turns out it is useless.
> Time for fedora to bury it :)
> Re: My router: it does very little if any caching - and has no
> configuration for it at all.
>
> I will try bind.

I've not used it....but have heard good things about dnsmasq which, according to yum
info, is A lightweight DHCP/caching DNS server.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage