Restarting services

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:18:05 UTC 2012

F16

After a recent yum update, "needs-restarting" says that colord should be
restarted. OK, let's see:

1) pstree says that colord's parent is systemd
2) "systemctl list-units" doesn't mention colord
3) There is no man page for colord
4) The colord docs ("rpm -qd colord") don't say anything about using
signals to restart, or indeed anything about restarting.
5) There is no mention of colord in any file under /etc

Obviously I could log out and in again, but I'm interested in exploring
just how one is supposed to find this kind of information in the general
case -- not just for colord --other than asking the list or reading the
source code.

Thoughts?

poc