nscd and DNS cache

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:41:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:42:20 -0600
JD wrote:

> > It isn't useless for me at work: It is the only thing that makes
> > NIS lookups reliable. At some point in time, glibc apparently
> > changed the timeout for NIS to something like 3 nanoseconds :-).
> 3 ns?? So, what did you do to make it work?

The smiley was for the 3 ns value. I have no idea what it actually
is, but NIS only functions error free if I am running nscd on my
local system. The slightest amount of network traffic that slows
down the local network always results in NIS errors unless I'm
running nscd. This happened somewhere around fedora 12 or 13 I
seem to recall. Never ran nscd before that, and never had a
problem, and none of the local network infrastructure changed,
so I figured it must be something in libc that was more
sensitive to slight delays in responses.