F16 Mount Issue

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu May 17 17:05:34 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 09:54 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jonathan Allen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On a fully up-to-date F16 system (as of this morning) I have an issue
>> with
>> remote mounting directories at boot. The machine's /etc/fstab contains
>> these two lines:
>>
>> purse:/share /share nfs
>> rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.168.1.10 0 0
>> mirror:/home /home nfs
>> nfsvers=3,rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.168.1.1 0 0
>>
>> The first, to an F6 machine, always works. The second, to an F14 machine
>> never works at boot time, but always works with 'mount -a' done later
>> in a
>> root (text) login session or 'su' time.
>>
>> How can I get this to work without manual intervention?
>>
> I would not be surprised if F14 is nfs4, and I've seen similar issues,
> older servers using nfs3 work better. it could be related to nfs-idmapd
> getting going, can't say for sure.
>
> I don't think Networkmanager-wait-online will help, as the mounts to old
> releases need a network, too, and they work.
>
> And you didn't ask, but I'll mention that putting IP addresses in fstab
> is an opportunity for simple changes to break things. I have seen people
> learn this the hard way, although I didn't.

Are you sure that the local /home disk partition is mounted BEFORE the
NFS mount occurs? It could be that the NFS mount occurs at /home first,
then the local /home mount occurs, overlays the NFS mount and hides it.
Ditto with the /share mountpoint.

Before you do the "mount -a", do a simple "mount" and verify that you
haven't got the local partitions overlaying the NFS mounts.