/dev/ttyUSB0 changes to /dev/ttyUSB1

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu May 17 17:24:45 UTC 2012

I have a device, namely a Davis Vantage Pro2 Weather Station Console,
attached to the second USB port on a laptop; the first port is used by a
mouse.  Occasionally the port on which the console is visible changes
from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyUSB1.  I haven't noticed any reason for
this, in particular no change in physical connections; it just happens
when it happens.  This prevents some software which handles the console
from operating, since it's expecting to find the console
on /dev/ttyUSB0.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?  Any idea what's happening?

Thanks - jon